Saturday, July 30, 2011

What Game Are You Playing?

Heard a profound message today about the game of Monopoly which really for me is a societal symbol of the "Game of Life."


We start out with nothing and we spend the whole time playing the game with hope, desire, strategy, need, greed, excess, and acquisition.  We hustle, work, dream, manifest, gather, possess, conquer and if we are lucky and or skilled we win.  Whether we admit it or not we all want to land on, own and monopolize Park Place. And no matter how many apartments and houses there are on St. Charles Place it never is good enough because we can't stop thinking about the money we'd collect if those houses and apartments were on Boardwalk. When the game is over we scoop it all up and put it back in the box because after all "it" was here before we got here, it will be here when we are gone. The truth is it was never ours anyway...it was all an illusion



Isn't this true about our lives? We come into the world perfectly imperfect having everything we need to survive, hopefully thrive and live our lives.  Yet some where in the journey it isn't enough.  We want more, we think we need more and we use every fiber of our being to acquire more. The brainwashing begins early from Cinderella, to Snow White to the TV advertisements that subliminally convert us into commercial zombies who never get full and are always on the prowl for the next thing to conquer and devour.

Minute by minute, day by day and year after year this thing called media has consumed us in ways we are oblivious to.  What "they" say (experts, critics, leaders, spokespeople, researchers etc.) seems to have far more credence than our innate knowing of what we need. I've chosen to unsubscribe to the overload and overwhelming message that bombard us every where we turn. I limit the amount of messaging coming in from a variety of sources and it allows me to go inward and listen to the messages I really need to hear.

When I really think about the game of Monopoly I can see how it's intent and motive has been embedded in our minds and souls. It's kind of sad actually yet we have the power to do something about it. We have the choice to play a new game. If you stop and look at the industry you work in you can see who is playing Monopoly very clearly.  You can hear it in their tone, you can sense it in their messaging and if you are in their presence over the phone or in person you can feel it in your bones. I challenge you to become more aware of this Monopoly mentality and how it shows up in your life and the people you run with. You may even need to ask yourself the question "What kind of game are you playing in life?"

Reality hit for me today again...at the end of the day, when our time is up here on earth it all goes back into the box. I've already started to play a new game and boy does it feel liberating and peaceful. Yes I want to live a good life.  I want to be paid to do work I love. I want to help people and live in my version of prosperity but not at the sake of selling my soul, being dishonest, excluding others, and or compromising my core values. So as I blaze a new trail of spiritual enlightenment I'll continue to share with you the aha moments along the way.  Little nuggets of insight that might inspire you to find the courage to break away from the pack, resist the hype and follow the voice of your soul.  

Until next time...be brave, be bold, be fearless and just be YOU!

Catrice M. Jackson
Empowerment Speaker
Fear-Free Living Expert and Author

2 comments:

  1. We not only get to choose a game, but we get to make up the rules--so long as they don't violate the basic spiritual principles of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven,

    Well said and I would add as long as we co-create our lives with God/Higher Power we get to create our hearts desires. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete